ALP National Secretariat is seeking expressions of interest for an exciting new role in our target seats unit.
Position Description: Tasmanian Lead Organiser
The Tasmanian Lead Organiser will form part of the team that develops Labor’s Target Seats strategy for the next federal election and works with Labor MPs and Senators to support continuous campaigning efforts, with a specific focus on Tasmania.
The Tasmanian Lead Organiser will also develop and implement a Tasmanian research program, that forms a foundation of a campaign strategy for future Tasmanian elections.
Building strong relationships across the Tasmanian Branch of the ALP is critical to this role – with a specific focus on working with the Tasmanian Labor Administrators, the State Secretary and the State Parliamentary Labor Party to implement the recommendations of the 2021 Tasmanian Election Review.
Reporting to the Assistant National Secretary, the Tasmanian Lead Organiser will take operational responsibility for:
• The planning, coordination, and implementation of a Tasmanian research program.
• Working with the Tasmanian Labor Administrators, the State Secretary, and the State
Parliamentary Labor Party to implement the recommendations of the 2021 Tasmanian
• Working closely with the Tasmanian State Branch, and MPs and Senators to develop
Tasmanian specific campaign plans and support the activity of continuous campaigning.
• The development of strategies and resources to maximise the capability of ALP campaigns in Tasmania including but not limited to:
o Providing practical day to day support and assist with the development and delivery of campaign training for Tasmanian Labor members.
o Utilising campaign software, collecting data and leveraging this data and campaign.
software to improve local campaigning.
o Developing and executing integrated mini-campaigns with field, print and digital
As part of the ALP National Secretariat, the Tasmanian Lead Organiser will be required to assist with other associated duties as part of their role.
• Previous experience working in an organising or training role at a union of ALP state branch.
• A strong understanding of organising and campaign strategies and techniques.
• Previous experience working on State and Federal election campaigns.
• A high level of interpersonal skills and the ability to negotiate and work with a wide range of personalities.
• Commitment to the values of the ALP and labour movement.
• Capacity to exercise judgement, discretion and initiative within a politically sensitive environment.
• Capacity to work to tight deadlines.
• Able to work without close direction and supervision.
• Strong IT literacy.
About the role
This is a fixed-term, full-time appointment, based in either Canberra or Hobart. The position is part of the Target Seats Unit and reports to the Assistant National Secretary.
The position will be filled at Level 2 of the Projects/Operational/Executive classification ($102,937 – $151,381 + 12% superannuation) as set out in the ALP National Secretariat Terms and Conditions of Employment. Remuneration will be discussed with suitable applicants.
Applications close 21 October 2022. To apply, please submit your CV and a one-page cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.