A Shorten Labor Government will boost the number of apprentices in Australia and ensure more Australians have an opportunity to learn a trade.
Since they were elected, the Liberals have cut more than $3 billion from TAFE, skills and apprenticeships.
Government-funded enrolments in TAFE have dropped by 25 per cent and apprenticeships have plummeted by almost 150,000.
Only Labor has the policies to increase the capacity of the vocational education system and the skills of the Australian workforce.
A Shorten Labor Government will:
- Provide 150,000 additional Apprentice Incentives to employers and apprentices to reverse the apprenticeship decline.
- Require at least one in 10 jobs on all major Commonwealth and defence projects to be filled by an apprentice or trainee.
- Help 10,000 young job seekers choose the best apprenticeship for them by providing nationally recognised, industry endorsed, 20 week pre-apprenticeship training.
- Fast-track quality trade apprenticeships for up to 20,000 adults who need to retrain because of changes in the economy.
- Establish an Apprenticeship Advocate. The Advocate and their office will advise government on how to stop the exploitation of apprentices and trainees, improve their safety and close the apprentice gender gap.
We will pay for these commitments by making multinationals pay their fair share and closing tax loopholes used by the top end of town.
Click here to download more information about Labor's Fair Fo For Workers.